Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

How can I paint my counter tops for cheap? Can I just use regular paint?

So I know that you can buy a certain kind of paint for countertops but it is a little out of my price range. Can I just use regular paint?  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-27T17:26:54+0000  by amylyn amylyn

Hey amylyn,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

In short, you will need to purchase a paint rated for countertops. Failure to do so will cause any other kind of paint you use to fail, which can and will lead to much bigger problems of having to redo the surface again.

There is the Rust-Oleum Transformation Kits you were most likely referring to, but there is also a much more inexpensive option by the same company.

Shown below, we carry a tintable one-part Countertop paint by Rust-Oleum sold in our paint department as well but at a much lower price. Click on the image below to find out more information.

Rust-Oleum 1-Qt. Countertop Tintbase - Kit

As with any paint you use on a formica countertop, you'll first need to use a primer so whatever top coat you choose will bond to it properly. If you use the option I showed above, you'll need an oil-based or shellac-based primer.

I have heard of customers using porch and floor paint or garage floor paint to use on the countertops. This is something you can use to save money, but cutting corners and painting don't really go together well. Stick to the materials needed for priming and paint specifically made for countertops.

Better yet for the price, the Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformation Kits seem expensive up front, but when you compare the costs to a lot of other coatings out there, its actually not too bad.

I hope this information has assisted you, and please update us on your next step for your countertops.

Cheers,

Joseph

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-27T18:03:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+