Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

How close should brackets be on a wooden shelf for books and other storage?

I want to hang wall mounted shelves in my craft room. These will hold boxes of pictures, some books, and other light to mid weight items. How close should the brackets be? I have purchased two track bars, but the wall is close to 8 ft. long.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-26T19:37:40+0000  by Lynneroll Lynneroll

Hey Lynneroll,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

As long as the books and items aren't too heavy, you can install adjustable track shelving as you stated in a manner not unlike the image shown below.

Rubbermaid FastTrack Garage 48 in. x 16 in. Multi-Purpose Shelf

In terms of the width of the brackets, the ones above simply need to be in the dead center and left and right tracks about 2 inches from the edges.

The key here is to install each track DIRECTLY into the studs OR using weight-rated screw anchors in hollow sheetrock.

As long as you measure and know the overall width of the shelves, you'd need at least 3 tracks to support the shelves. The rule of thumb for most drywall walls is that there are studs every 16 inches starting from the edge of the wall.

Once you know this measurement, you can space them out, and fasten each track directly into the studs. 4 tracks would actually give you more stability, and you can alter the amount of shelves there as well. So really, the configurations are entirely up to you, if you can keep the tracks 16" on center of the studs.

Hope this information has assisted you, and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-26T21:13:56+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

It very much depends on the type of material you are using for the shelving.  There's a useful tool called the Sagulator that will help you calculate sag.  Man-made materials are at the end of the list.

I used 3/4" thick melamine shelving 12" deep with spacing of 32 inches and a load of 20 lbs. per foot (160 lbs per shelf).  The sag is .055, which is less than idea but probably suffiicient for storage.

Posted 2013-06-27T00:08:02+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+