Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Answered

How do I adjust a miter saw to change the angle?

I have done this in the past, but cannot find my manual.  I need to rotate the saw plate the make a 45 degree angle, but cannot remember how to do it.  I removed a big knob from the back, thinking that might be the thing holding  the present position, but nothing budges.  My saw needs to be cleaned up; it is gunked up with saw dust; perhaps that is the problem?  Tommorow I will go out to my garage and  clean it up and maybe spray it with WD-40.  I have pulled at all of the knobs and pressed all of the levers.  What should I be looking for?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-15T04:44:03+0000  by junebug39 junebug39

Greetings and welcome to our community,

I can certainly relate to your dilemma, a compound miter saw has so many  knobs that it can be quite confusing at times. When you combine that with the loss of the manual, things can be quite frustrating.

Most miter saws will have 2 ways to lock a simple angle in place, one being a knob that locks the angle in place, and the other is typically a lever that locks into preset "notches" on the underside of the adjustable portion at the front of the saw. This area also will commonly get a lot of sawdust in it which may contribute to making it difficult to turn the table itself.

First I would take a shop vac and try to get all of the sawdust and any other debris from previous usage out of the saw. Then look at the front of the saw, grasp the knob in the center of the front and turn counterclockwise. Directly underneath the knob there should be some kind of a lever that is usually pressed down with your thumb and while holding the knob, turn the entire assembly in either direction you need. One side is usually in graduations from 0 to 52 degrees, and the other is usually the same or 0 to 45 degrees.

As far as lubrication goes I would suggest using a dry lubricant such as a graphite-based product as WD-40 may drip on your project which could stain the wood. It would also likely build up easier due to the moisture content.

MiterSaw.jpg

Finally, many user manuals are now available on-line for free or for a nominal charge. Sites like powertool.manualsonline.com are great resources that we here use often.

Hope that helps, and please let me know if this solves your problem.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-02-15T13:23:40+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+