Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How do I apply a skim coat of mud?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-27T00:13:32+0000  by boblin72 boblin72

Drywall compound is sometimes called "mud".


A skim coat is a thin layer of this compound applied to drywall. It usually is referring to the final coat of drywall compound over several applications.  The idea is that the better the compound is applied (i.e.. Several coats), then the less you will have to sand to achieve a smooth finish.


You apply the compound with a good quality joint knife.


        Step 1: Around the edge of the hole check the damaged area to see if there are any cracks



   Another use of the term referees to a thin layer of drywall compound rolled over the whole wall surface (level 4) to achieve a consistent super smooth base for paint.  The compound is thinned down with water to the thickness of paint.

Posted 2014-01-27T15:28:37+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thank you!

I like the roll-on idea and will try it.

Posted 2014-01-27T17:10:59+0000  by boblin72
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question