Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do I build a Bay Window Seat and Storage unit not attached to the walls?

How do I build a Bay Window Seat and Storage unit not attached to the walls? Should I use 2 x 4's similar to a Half wall on 16" centers?

Thanks,

Joe

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-07T19:16:06+0000  by NYAJ NYAJ

There are several types of bay's-- Box bay's, A bay's, walk-a-bay's, bay windows- which can just be the windows themselves making the bay, or you may have the floor and walls built out making the bay, and I suppose it could be in an upper floor with a bay formed in the dog box. I guess a more appropriate question would be, what type of bay do you have and would you like the the bay seat/storage unit to be formed to the shape of the bay that may be moved if needed? Or simply a rectangular shaped box that can be covered with whatever you desire to match your decor with a cushion to match the bedding? You can build out of several different materials which would be strong enough to serve as a seat, but keep in mind, without knowing the size of the bay it could get really heavy when built out of 2x material and considering it may be full.. So choose materials with that in mind..

Posted 2013-12-08T01:13:13+0000  by CED

Floor and walls are built out on a second level.  Plan is to build in three sections that be separated and removed should the owner decide to sell and new owner does not want it.  It will sit on existing carpet and not have an enclosed base.  Just front doors for storage access and top to hold a seat cushion.  Center box is 42" across by 49" deep and 14 1/4 inches high.  Right oblique triangle is 49" deep by 54" by 39" by 14 1/4 inches high.  Left oblique triangle is 49" deep by 68" by 47" by 14 1/4 inches high.  A 4" cushion will sit on top for both sitting and sleeping.

Hope this helps.

Posted 2013-12-08T16:21:19+0000  by NYAJ

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+