Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do I build a floating desk with shelving unit?

I need a simple step by step way on how to build my husband a floating xbox gaming desk with storage for his birthday. I also need to know what the material list is! PLEASE HELP!!!! I would lik it to be something like this. floating desk.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-12T02:48:49+0000  by laforce laforce

Hello Laforce,

Welcome to the community.

What a fun project. I would love to make one of these if I had a wall that I could put one on.

I have no idea what size you need so I just guesstimated the size of the one in the picture. I went with an overall size of 48” x 48”.

I went with solid pine for everything but the desk surface which I used plywood and added a solid pine to the edges that show.

To hang the unit on the wall I went with what I call a hanging wedge that is made out of 2 - 2” x 4” with one edge cut at a 45 degree angle. One of them is attached to the wall with the angle facing away from the wall and the other attached to the unit with the angle the opposite way.

This way when you hang the unit they lock into each other and will not fall.

I put together a materials list and a couple of diagrams to show you how I would build it.

floating desk diagram.JPG

Floating Desk parts list.jpg                        

•       1 - ¾” x 2’ x 4’ plywood   (B)
  •      1 - 1” x 12” x 4’ pine  (A)
  •       1 – 1” x 10” x 4’ pine  (E)
  •      1 – 1” x 2” x 8’ pine   (C,D)
  •      3 – 1” x 6” x 8’ pine (F,G,H,I,J,K)
  •      2 – 2” X 4” X 8   (HANGING WEDGES)
  •      1lb box of 2” screws 
  •      1 box of 2” finishing nails  (edges of desk)
  •      6 – ¼” x 3 ½” lag screws  (hanging wedge to wall)
  •      6 – ¼” washers
  •      8 – 3/16” x 2 ½” lag screws  (unit to hanging wedge)
  •      8 – 3/16” washers
  •      Sandpaper, paint or stain

Once you have everything cut to size and shape you will need to measure and mark where all of the screws go and pre-drilling all of the holes before you screw the pieces together. This will keep the wood from splitting. Assemble per diagram.

Paint or stain the unit to your liking. Now its time to screw the hanging wedges on to the wall.

Make sure and find the studs when you are screwing the hanging wedges to the wall. Also make sure that both of them are hung parallel to each other.   

The finished unit will be quite heavy so find a helper and then place the unit close to the wall where the hanging wedge on the unit is just above the one on the wall and slide it down until it locks into the wedge. Make sure that your fingers are not in between the unit and the wall when it slides into place.

The instructions are very basic so if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Posted 2012-12-14T23:46:52+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+