Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do I calculate the amount of paint needed for a wall with a vaulted ceiling?

I want to paint an accent wall in my living room. The ceilings are vaulted and the wall comes to a point at the top. Is there an easy way to calculate the amount of paint I'll need without using advanced math?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-16T21:30:03+0000  by Symbalta Symbalta

If you measure the length and the width of the area and multiply the two it will give you the square footage.  Average gallon of paint covers 450 square ft of space.

Posted 2013-08-16T21:36:57+0000  by firfigtr7

paint area.jpg

Generally, most paints use 350 sqft / gallon for one coat.

Here is an example wall at the end of a cathedral ceiling room. If we divide our wall into a triangle and a rectangle, it makes it easier to figure out the square footage. For the rectangle we would take the width of 9ft and multiple that by the height, giving 72 sqft. For the triangle, we use the width of 9ft and multiple that by the height of 8ft and then divide the result by 2, giving 36sqft. Add the two results together and you'd come up with 108sqft. Anytime you have a triangle, you figure out the square footage by taking length x height and dividing by 2.

Posted 2013-08-16T23:43:57+0000  by Paul

Paul did well in high school Geometry class!  :smileywink:

Posted 2013-08-19T05:27:14+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+