Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

How do I change a double ended T3 halogen light bulb?

When I try to remove the blown out bulb it won't come out unless I break the bulb.  The socket seems to be stationary and there is no way to get a new bulb into the socket.  The bulb is a GE 97672 halogen 150 watt T Type bulb with ceramic connectors on each end.


Any help would be appreciated.



Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-26T15:47:15+0000  by DoItMyself_62 DoItMyself_62

Typically the metal connectors of the fixture are spring loaded.  Just push to one size of the other.  It's not a bad idea to wear a pair of gloves incase the lamp shatters.

Posted 2013-11-26T16:31:29+0000  by Adam444

Hi DoItMyself_62,


The fixture may have become corroded where the bulb makes contact. This can cause the bulb to adhere to the contact plates. 


While the bulb is out and the power is off (preferably at the breaker), use a small, stiff brush to clean the contact points where the bulb attaches.


Place a dab of dielectric grease onto the contacts before you install the new bulb. This will prevent moisture from corroding the fixture again. 




When handling the bulb, be sure to avoid touching the glass part of the halogen bulb, because oils from your skin will cause a hot spot on the bulb, causing it to burn out prematurely.


If you have touched the bulb, clean it with alcohol before installing it. Hold it with a paper towel during the installation.


Thanks for the question. Welcome to The Community!!!







Posted 2013-11-26T18:01:32+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

I can't seem to get the spring loaded connector to move and allow the bulb to be inserted.  Is there a way to free that up?  I have tried WD40 but it still won't move.  I am afraid I will have to buy a new connector.



Posted 2013-11-26T19:39:21+0000  by DoItMyself_62
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question