Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do I change the color of the paint I bought?

Hi Everyone,

I purchased 1 gallon of pale yellow paint at Home Depot today. It iway too light I need to make it a much darker yellow?
I have so many different colors of unused paint ....What colors and how much of each color do I add to my gallon of paint to make it a deep sunflower yellow?

HELP !!!!!

PLEASE REPLY QUICKLY....The room needs to be painted this week.

Thank you,
Angie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-11T01:49:30+0000  by Angie3761 Angie3761

Take the gallon(s) back to Home Depot and nicely ask for them to retint the paint.  Understand that once you've used some of the paint the formulation may not be exact.

Home Depot does sell little 8 oz "trial" containers of paint that would eliminate this problem in the future.

Posted 2013-11-11T03:52:04+0000  by Adam444

Hello Angie3671!

Going from light colors to darker colors can usually be accomplished with the help of your local Paint Associate.

Here's How:

1) Take your can to the returns desk and have them mark the product paid;

2) Go to The Paint Pit (paint department) and select the color you would like your paint to be;

3) Present your paint can and color chip to your Paint Associate and ask if they can "adjust" your color;

4) Most likely, you'll be told that they will try ... and to expect a color "similar to" the color chip, but not exactly the same;

5) Once you confirm that you would like to try, your Paint Associate will need between 30-minutes and several hours;

6) When you return, you should have an example of the new color and the old; and

7) Don't forget to thank your Paint Associate for their effort and time.

8) Our goal is to provide outstanding customer service ... adjusting paint colors is one of those outstanding services.

NOTE:

Our cans are labeled "Not Returnable" when they are tinted. However, we're always happy to adjust color slightly darker. Adjust from a dark color to a lighter color can sometimes be done, but is much less likely an option.

So, choose carefully and when in doubt, always purchase a half-pint sample before purchasing gallons.

The lighting in your home is much different that at The Store. The sample gives you the chance to preview your color in the lighting in your home ... the acid test for whether your color selection will work with your decor and lighting.

Posted 2013-11-12T14:21:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Pat,

Good advice. I always ask the customer to grab a color swatch of where they would like to end up. It is very difficult to read the customer's " mind's eye". The data of the new color compared to the data of the old will immeditely tell if the transition is remotely possible. Usually, the customer has nothing to lose. They have already bought a color they don't like, so most often the new color is an improvement.

I have been told by the powers that be in Atlanta, that a new computer program is in the works which will generate a transition formula, or state if it is impossible. Technology marches on! It will make old warhorses like us somewhat obsolete!  :(

Posted 2013-11-12T19:27:57+0000  by ordjen

Hey Ordjen!

Good to speak w you!

I already operate that new system.

The software offers a similar initial menu, but when you select "Adjust" the menus at the bottom of the screen allow you to add colorants up to the capacity limit of the base ... so the capacity limit is more for deep base than it is for medium base.

The old adjust allowed only 25-percent increments of formulas.

The new software will adjust at one-percent intervals up to the colorant limit ... at that point a popup screen states that "You have exceeded the colorant capacity." (I am paraphrasing).

It is great to see features like this that The Home Depot is championing on behalf of our customers.

As you know, it is very common for color selection to be slightly off once they get home.

So, I tell everyone I serve that they can make micro-adjustments that are very accurate and repeatable in the next can.

Speaking of service I noticed that you pass the 1,000 answer mark recently.

OUTSTANDING!!!

Thanks for all you do for our Community Ordjen!

You're a valuable contributor!

Posted 2013-11-12T19:38:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Pat, 

I have that new 100% incremental program too, but there is supposedly a new program in developement. What I was told is that the new program being worked on  will be able to analyzed a color and determined if another color can be reached from it. The computer will  generate an additional formula to get to the desired color.

Supposedly such technology already esists, but it is being adapted to Home Depot systems. Can't wait for its arrival! Not only will customer alterrations be easier, but more paints might be saved from becoming "oops" paint. This ws a topic on the Warehouse  paint blog several weeks ago.

As to my number of entries on this site, I have to get a life!  :)  I have  also been a contributor on the "This Old House" website under "Discussions" for several years where I am approaching 1500 hundred entries. What I lack in quality, I make up in quantity! :)

Posted 2013-11-13T07:50:35+0000  by ordjen

Yes Ordjen,

The tools we have are constantly improving.

We don't have software to generate adjustment formulas yet, but if it can be imagined it can be created!

Basically, I do what you describe using existing tools.

Measure the first color, then measure the second, and use colorants to make the difference ... assuming the paint base is the same.

When paint bases are not the same, I still use this method ... simply adjusting my expectations for the darker base.

REMEMBER THAT KID:

You know, the one that always said, "When will I ever use math?"

At The Paint Pit, adjustments are nothing more than a bit of math applied in measures that prevent disaster.

Not every experiment is successful ... but most result in colors that are useful to my customers.

FINALLY:

TOH is lucky to have you as a contributor!

I devoted my Blog commentary to your contributions. Click the link to have a look.

Posted 2013-11-14T14:03:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+