Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

How do I change this shower light?

My home was built in 1972, and these shower lights are probably original equipment.  I can't figure out how to get the globe off to change the bulb.  It doesn't turn, or push.  I pried around it with a putty knife, and I can get it to wiggle a little, but I can't tell if I'm opening it or breaking it.  Anybody seen these lights before?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-02T20:44:03+0000  by dadsgoodlife dadsgoodlife

Hello dadsgoodlife.  Welcome to the Community!

The base of the light will be secured to the electrical box with small screws that are only accessible after removing the glass cover.  You can probably bend that base by prying it down until either you break the globe or the mounting screws.  The globe must come off first.  If there are no screws holding the glass in place, then it must just twist off.  Normally we think of righty tighty and lefty loosely, but with a light fixture there is no way to know which way will remove it.  Most of the time, lefty or counterclockwise is the norm.  Use grippy gloves to twist the globe until it comes off, whichever direction works.

Chris.

Posted 2018-04-03T15:11:54+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Greetings dadsgoodlife,

I love the retro look; but do you think it is time to change the whole fixture, not just the bulb?

First and foremost even if you intend to just change the bulb, I suggest you shut of the electricity to that circuit, any time you are having difficulties it is better to be safe than sorry…especially in a wet situation. Shut off the power.

I could not find that fixture or any details about the proper way to change the bulbs.

That fixture looks dated and I would not be surprise if it has somehow rusted, or corroded together, even plastic to metal can pit and meld together over years. I had a bathroom exhaust/light that had a hinge on the light lens, it took me forever to figure out how to open it, it swung down when opened, check and see if it looks hinged? It the globe is a screw on turn left to loosen. The plastic may crack no matter how you remove it because it has become brittle with time.

Most new shower construction has recess can lights; I did find a surface mount if you decide to replace that fixture.

Please let us know how things “turn” out,

Maureen

Posted 2018-04-03T16:27:47+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+