Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do I cover tile board in the kitchen?

Dear Remodeling Gurus- The people who previously owned our home "updated" the kitchen by gluing tile board over the wallpapered plaster. :smileyfrustrated: Our kitchen looks more like a place to take a shower than a place to make dinner. I won't even START with the other problems (the upper cabinets start at 66" from the floor, none of the cabinet doors are the same size etc). We can't do a total remodel for at least two years. I can live with the rest if I could fix the wall situation. I don't want to sink a bunch of cash in the kitchen when I plan on ripping down the tile board and doing a proper job later. How can I cover the walls without having it look like I just painted over the offending surface? Is there a way I could level out the walls and then paint or wallpaper? I am open to suggestion, creative options WELCOME!! How do I make the "tile" effect imprinted in the walls go away (preferably without having to take a power sander to the whole kitchen)?? Thank you!! :smileyhappy:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-07T22:45:18+0000  by OmahaCupcake OmahaCupcake

Hello and thank you for joining our How-to-Community.

Tile board glued over plaster.... 

Hm... You’ve got a tough one there.

Well i can think of two options that would work (last) here. One is to glue-nail a layer of the thin drywall over the tile board and the other one is to skim coat over the tile board with drywall compound by embedding fiberglass matting.

Having said they already glued tailboard over the plaster first option would be really my last option :) Adding a layer ,on top of the layer that’s already on top of the layer its one of those Aj AJ Aj jobs:smileyfrustrated:. Once the additional layer is added outlets need to be extended, door jambs and window jambs too....:manmad:

Let’s talk about skimcoating.

Skim coating is basically smoothing out walls using drywall compound. In the past I’ve successfully skim coated over plaster walls and some extraterrestrial  wAllPaper. Basically prior to patching areas are primed with quality stain blocking  primer and skim coated with drywall compound.

To prevent compound from cracking and transferring patterns fiberglass matting is used.

fiba.jpgfabric.JPG

You will need to sand the walls once they are skimcoated. If you wish to avoid sanding and dust associated with it you can do a knockdown or similar texture on the walls. That’s what I’ve done in the past with some ceilings. If you wish to have smooth walls and you don’t mind some sanding, than I would use USG's dust control compound in combination with all purpose compound.

All Purpose Compound would be your base or your first coat and dust control compound would be you finish coat,

yes you will need to mud at least two times.:smileywink:

allp.jpgdc.jpg

Dust Control Compound is formulated to reduce airborne dust and during sanding. It binds fine residue during sanding to form heavier particles that drop to the floor instead of clouding the air.

dwd.JPG

Dust control alone is not acceptable for skim coat applications- in other words do not attempt to skip the steps otherwise it will roll off revealing beautiful tile pattern you like so much:smileyhappy:

What else...yes ...do not attempt to sand walls..? Once the top layer is off you will be left fine MDF dust on the walls... from there you will have to go with the new drywall.

Or something I completely forgot about - erased from my brain cells...is WaLLpaPer. You can always glue a new ______ over the tile board..:smileyhappy:

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2012-07-09T17:29:21+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+