Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

How do I create a drainage slope on my concrete slab before installing pavers

Hi, I have a 60's rambler with an 8" wide and 30' long concrete slab running under the eaves to the front door. The slab can't be removed as it runs under the brick on the front of my home.  I'm going to lay pavers over the concrete plan but have a concern.
The concrete slab is in very good condition but it doesn't slope away from the house.  After a hard rain, water pools on the concrete.  I want to correct this problem before I lay the pavers.  What  is the best way to create a slope? I've read that the slop needs to be 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.  that would mean I'd ideally need to add 1.75" of height next to my house.  Do you advise using gravel or cement to accomplish this and what are the important things to know before I begin? Thanks so much!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-28T04:18:00+0000  by anncgavin anncgavin

Hello anncgavin.  Welcome to the Community!

If the slab runs 30 feet along the front of the house, then the drainage issue will be to change the slope of the slab along the 8 (inch or feet?) dimension from the brick wall.

You will need to use a cement product rather than gravel, since you want the water to run off the slab.  Gravel will still allow pooling.

My math skills are not working well today, so I cannot get to 1.75" in height.  Let me try to help you this way:

For adding a total of 5/8" or less of topping thickness, I would use a product called Quikrete Concrete Resurfacer.

Concrete Resurfacer.jpg

I highly recommend that you read through the Quikrete Data Sheet for this product before you use it.

You can find this important information on Concrete Resurfacer here.  The Data Sheet contains comprehensive application instructions.

If you indeed need more than 5/8" of topping thickness to improve drainage, then Quikrete Sand/Topping Mix should be used.

Sand Topping Mix.jpg

The Quikrete Data Sheet for this product is different than the one shown above, and has its own instructions.

You can find the Sand/Topping Mix Data Sheet here.

Try to get to 1/4" of slope per foot if you can.

Also, there are numerous posts on the Community in the Garden section on how to add pavers over a concrete pad.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-05-29T15:37:48+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+