Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do I cut Hardibacker board?

I am hanging 1/2" Hardibacker around my bathtub. How do I cut the Hardibacker?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-05T23:31:10+0000  by Kelso Kelso

Score with a utility knife and snap.  They also make a special tool that has a carbide blade that will last longer than a utility knife blade but for a small area it doesn't really matter.  For something like a circle for your shower valve, score the hole and tap it out with a hammer.  You want to avoid cutting with a saw or drilling it because it does contain silica, which is potentially harmful if inhaled.
Posted 2016-05-06T08:27:16+0000  by Adam444

Hello Kelso,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

Anyone who has worked with tile backerboard will tell you to use a backerboard knife made just for your situation, and not a utility knife.

This specific knife makes small cuts as well as large scoring marks better and faster than any utility knife, regardless if its a large or tiny area you are installing.

Shown below and linked here, it's really the best and simplest way to get the pieces of your backerboard cut. 

QEP Cement and Backerboard Scoring Knife with 3 Carbide Tip Design

This tool is just as inexpensive as purchasing a utility knife, and is sold at your local Home Depot in the tile aisle with the other tile tools.

Make sure that the surfaces are clean before you place the seam tape and mortar after cutting and setting the panels into place via the rated screws.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Joseph

Posted 2016-05-07T12:50:23+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+