Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

How do I fix a hole in wood?

I have a large wooden bowl that my grandmother used to keep flour in for making biscuits.  I love the bowl, but it now has a tangerine size hole in it and I am hoping to make a repair.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Parker

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-02T16:26:09+0000  by parker64 parker64

You may be able to use a wood epoxy to fix the hole.  Keep in mind that there will always be somewhat of a discrepancy in that area - no matter how great the fix.

The wood putty will dry as hard as the wood, can be sanded, and can be stained to match the existing color. I suggest adding some strong tape to the outside of the hole and fill it from the inside.

Once it is dry you can sand it to the contour of the bowl (same with the outside). 

The product can be stained with conventional stains. If you intend on using it for food preparation, then I suggest treating the interior with a coating like pure beeswax, carnaubas wax, or even polyurethane. All of which should be allowed to cure for 30 days to allow for the chemical to evaporate.

Posted 2014-02-02T19:05:00+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Often when I have been fixing a hole which had little  support, such as filling fallen out knot holes in cedar siding, I would first drive in little brad nails around the perimeter of the hole. These nails act almost like mini-rebars to keep the patch from being able to separate from the hole. Of course, an exterior application such as this is subject to a lot of expansion and contraction with the seasons , which I doubt your bowl would be normally, unless it is perhaps occasionally washed.

Posted 2014-02-02T20:07:38+0000  by ordjen
Hello Parker64!

We all have sentimental attachments to pieces belonging to family members. 

Like your bowl, while younger we might have even shared time with Grandma using the piece to prepare meals.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Products labeled with "Caution" warnings are made with known irritants.

If the products used on your repair contain such warnings, you may want to retire the bowl from food preparation and simple use as a display piece in your kitchen.

It will still hold the sentimental value and remind you of great times with Grandma ... without running the risk of contaminating food.

NOTE:
I always look for labels indicating the product is "Food Safe" when completing a repair like your bowl.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2014-04-22T16:36:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+