Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

How do I fix my oven that won't heat?

I touched the heating element with a metal spatula, saw a little spark, heard a little pop & my oven wont heat up since.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-13T06:55:20+0000  by Paytonsnana Paytonsnana

Hi Patonsnana,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

So sorry to hear about your oven, but I have to say that sticking a metal spoon into an electric oven and grounding it out was probably not a good idea!!! Dangerous too!!  You could have been a toasted marshmallow!!   {:-)

burning-marshmallow-04.jpg

Glad to hear you are OK.

It sounds like it could be a circuit breaker.  You best course of action will be to call the Tech Support Center for appliances @ 1-877-946-9843.  You will need to have your:  Make, Model & serial number and they can help you trouble shoot. 

There will be a series of prompts that you will have to go thru to get you to the right tech but this will be the safest way to handle your situation.  Hopefully, you will be able to avoid a service call.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-09-13T19:06:00+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Hello Paytonsnana.

I'd like to add a couple of ideas to what Rick has posted.

While appliance repair is often not a DIY kind of project, one common and easy fix would be to replace the oven heating element.  Take a careful look at it, especially where you saw the sparks coming from.  If you see any pitting or obvious damage, you can replace this element yourself and save the cost of a repairman's labor.

Here's how you can do this:

First, either turn off the circuit breaker that you already checked and found OK, or pull the range out from the wall and unplug it.

Once there is no power to the range, you can unscrew the mounting plate at the back of the oven and simply pull the old element out.  It will look something like this and you can find a replacement on-line here, or at a local appliance parts retailer.  Home Depot stores do not carry oven elements.

Bake-Element.jpg

Even if the element looks OK, you can then check it with a multi-meter for resistance to make sure that it is or is not the culprit.  You should see resistance of less than 50 ohms, with 15-25 ohms being especially good numbers.  If the resistance is higher than 50 then the element will not carry enough current to properly heat up.  Installing the new element simply involves pushing it into the slide terminals and putting back the mounting screws.

Beyond replacing the element, any other repairs needed to your range will involve hot/powered testing and I highly recommend that you leave this work to a professional.  Internal repairs will still likely be cheaper than replacing the stove, but are not really a common DIY activity.

Here is a post from Joe back in 2011 with a video that explains the Home Depot appliance repair website:

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Install-Replace/Appliance-Parts-from-The-Home-Depot/td-p/23953 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris.

Posted 2013-09-13T20:31:45+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+