Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How do I fix windowsill if drywall is now below base wood after scraping chipped paint?

I NEED TO REFINISH WINDOW SILL.  CHIPPED PAINT IS ALREADY SCRAPED OFF EXPOSING BARE BASE WOOD.  UNFORTUNATELY, SOME DRYWALL HAS BROKEN OFF WHEN SCRAPING....IT'S ~ 1/4" BELOW WOOD BASE OF SILL!  BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING, HOW CAN I BUILD UP THIS PART? I WAS TOLD TO USE SPACKLE.  WOULD THAT WORK OR IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO?  ALSO, I WILL BE ADDING ANOTHER LAYER OF WOOD, HOW DO I ATTACH THIS LAYER OF WOOD WITHOUT IT CRACKING?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-07T22:49:04+0000  by globaldulce globaldulce

The gap between the bottom of the stool [picture #11] (what I think you're calling the sill [#14]) and the drywall is typically covered with an apron [#10].  I'm guessing you don't have one of those?  You could add one but that probably means adding one to every other window.  Minor gaps can be filled with drywall compound although you may have to repair it again because there really isn't any support for the compound and you have dissimilar materials.  If the gap was smaller, caulk might be a better option as it has flexibility.

As for repairs to the stool itself and assuming it's painted, any dings and missing material can be filled or formed with Bondo (it's the same stuff the use to repair cars).  It's basically a two part epoxy that you mix up.  You've got 10 minutes or less to work with the stuff so don't mix up too much.  Overfill the area and one the Bondo has hardened but not completely it can be shaped with a sharp chisel.  Once it is set, sand to the finished shape and smooth.  Prime and paint.

Posted 2013-09-08T13:01:51+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+