Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Answered

How do I hang shelves on painted brick walls?

I need HELP! I was trying to find the best way to hang shelves on painted brick walls. I don't want to drill into the brick because we are renting, and I don't think the Command Tape will be strong enough to hold the shelves. Any ideas? or maybe a better way if I drill and a good way to cover up after we move?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-22T03:47:18+0000  by newellvm newellvm

Hey newellvm,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

There really isn't any other option hang shelves on a wall other than fastening them onto it. You are right about the 3M Command tape strips; these hold typically no more than 3 pounds.

The only way to have shelving on a brick wall without any fasteners (screws) is by having a free standing shelving unit.

38.75 in. W x 61.5 in. H x 14.5 in. D Reveal Wood Shelving Unit in Chocolate

But, if theres a desk or entertainment unit is preventing this, you can use small fasteners and then cover them up (as you said) when you are ready to move.

Depending on what type of shelves you want to install will be determined by what fasteners you can use. Typically, screws that are rated for conrete/masonry like Tapcon work very well for this purpose.

You'd simply use a high-quality masonry filler after the shelves are removed in order for it to look like a hole was never there. I'd also recommend to repaint the wall to make everything more uniform again.

Let me know if you have any additional questions,
Joseph

Best Answer

Posted 2014-01-22T14:40:09+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Awesome thank you very much, I'll be stopping by my local HD to pick up some supplies.
Posted 2014-01-22T19:21:43+0000  by newellvm

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+