Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

How do I install shelving in a narrow, deep closet in my bathroom?

I have a narrow, deep closet at the end of my bathtub in our bathroom.  What is the best way and best materials to use to install shelving?  The closet is 33 1/2" deep and 17" wide (once past the door frame).  The closet door is 11 3/4" wide and the door opening is 11" wide.  Any suggestions?  I don't know where to start. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-26T15:45:06+0000  by robinp1 robinp1

Hello robinp1,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You actually have several options for your bathroom closet.

At least with ventilated wire shelving, our in-stock ones only go up to 20" depth, which means you have about a foot lacking of shelf space. This is still way deeper than the standard 12" shelves we carry.

Another option to give yourself as much shelf space as possible is to use sheets of plywood have them cut to almost the same depth of the shelf (32 inches x 17 inches wide).  I prefer at least 1/2" or thicker plywood so the shelves can be rigid and stable.

Depending on how many shelves you want to install will determine how many you'd like to place in there.

You can decide to use shelf brackets (shown below) fastened directly into the studs or use 2x4s on the sides of the closet so you can give good support for the shelves.

As stated earlier, you have more than one option when it comes to getting the right shelving for your closet. 

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Joseph
Posted 2014-04-16T18:56:43+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+