Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

How do I measure counter tops

I am redoing my kitchen and want to know how to measure for new counter tops Please help me

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-08T19:21:15+0000  by mclady mclady

Hi Mclady,

To measure for new countertops you will need to measure the length and the width of the existing counter.

In addition measure the back splash height and length. All measurements are for the total overall size based on squares or rectangles.

Thus a curved section would be measured so that the curve would fit into a square or rectangular box. The overall size of the box is used to estimate the square footage, as the portion of the countertop cut away to make the curve is considered waste.

The style of the edging is also a factor, depending upon the style you choose; there may be an additional charge, this is computed by the linear foot.

I have attached below a copy of our countertop estimator, it includes a grid to draw out your counter layout and additional instructions.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/Home_Services/Countertop_Installation/Docs/countertop_measure_guide_ln.pdf

Posted 2013-04-08T22:04:33+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hello mclady and welcome to The Community! 

We have a video that shows how to measure in our post How to Measure a Countertop.

When changing out your countertops, plan to install a new sink (with drain) and faucet (with sprayer). Consider upgrading your garbage disposal or adding an instant hot water dispenser.  When the countertops are removed, you can easily update your plumbing and electrical connections.

Best wishes on your project.

Eileen HD ATL.jpg

Posted 2013-04-09T18:51:12+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+