Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

Answered

How do I mount cabinets to a concrete wall?

I want to install my old kitchen cabinets in my basement, one wall of which is concrete. How do I mount the cabinets to the concrete wall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T16:44:46+0000  by homeimpr-sf1 homeimpr-sf1

HI homeimpr-sf,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

There are two basic ways to mount your cabinets to a concrete wall. The first thing you will want to do is measure.  Once you have determined where you are going to mount the cabinets, you will want to locate the mounting strip on the back of the cabinet.  This is usually on the backside top and the bottom of the cabinet if you are mounting wall cabinets and not floor cabinets. With floor cabinets, the mounting strip is located on the backside top of the unit. 

Once you have the mounting strips located, you have two ways to safely mount your cabinets: 

• One way is with the lead anchors, where the cabinet is attached directly to the wall.  In this method of installation you will need to first take the doors off the cabinets to lighten the load. 

Lead-Screw-Anchor.jpg Lead wall anchor for wood screws.jpgLead anchor and screw.jpg

Plastic anchors are not recommended as they can crack under the weight off the cabinets.

Next, drill pilot holes thru the mounting strip.  Having some assistance will help with the next step.  Use a long level 3-6 feet to ensure that your cabinets will be installed level.  Set the cabinets in the desired location, level them and mark the holes. 

Once the holes have been marked level on the concrete wall, take the cabinets down. Next, use a masonry bit and hammer drill to drill pilot holes into the concrete wall.  The size of the pilot hole will be determined by the size of the lead anchor you use.  Drill your hole about 1 inch deeper than the lead anchor.

After the pilot holes have been drilled, use a hammer to tap the lead anchors into the pilot holes you just drilled.  

The trick to mounting your wall cabinets correctly is to be sure to mortar joints or concrete blocks.  If possible, be sure to give yourself an 18 inch space from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling.  

When you fasten the cabinets to the wall, the screw that goes through the cabinet and into the lead anchor will cause the anchor to expand its lead sheath into the surrounding concrete, holding it securely to the wall.  Add your doors and you are set.  

• Once you have the mounting strips located, you have two ways to safely mount your cabinets: 

Using a 1X4 inch furring strip, cut the length of the board at a 45°. This method requires a table saw.

Once the 1x4 inch furring strip has been cut into 2 pieces, each piece having a 45° angle, use your level to set a straight line on the wall where you want to mount your cabinets.  Anchor one furring strip to the wall with the higher side of the 45° angle on the outside, the other to the cabinet.   The 45 degree angle connection  will hold the cabinet to the wall.  

Use one for the top of the cabinet and one for the bottom for added strength.

Furring Strip cut at 45 degree angle.jpgFurring Strip joined at 45 degree angle.jpgFurring Strip joined at 45 degree angle anchoring.jpg

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer

Posted 2014-01-14T23:34:14+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Thank you Rick for your quick and detailed response!
Posted 2014-04-04T10:24:45+0000  by homeimpr-sf1
What a wonderful site, I'm recommending it to all my friends and family
Posted 2014-04-04T10:31:10+0000  by homeimpr-sf1

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+