Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

How do I paint my kitchen cabinets

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-01T21:51:57+0000  by debbyn debbyn

Hi debbyn,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  You have a couple of options when it comes to painting your kitchen cabinets, but there is one absolute “Have To” that will need to be on your to-do list!! 

The first task will be to wash all the intended painting surfaces with TSP by Savogran or similar material such as Klean-Strip .

TSP.jpg  TSP by Klean-Strip.jpg

Once the cabinets have been washed, you have a couple of options.  At the very least, the cabinets will need to be sanded so that the new paint will stick to the surface.  

Depending on how many times the cabinets have been painted prior will be the determining factor for sanding or stripping.  If there are numerous coats of paint on your cabinets, you may want to use a paint stripper to remove all the old paint before putting on a new coat of paint.  

Paint Stripper by Citristrip.jpgPaint Stripper by KleanStrip.jpgPaint Stripper by Ready Strip.jpg

Once you have finished sanding and or stripping your cabinets, wash them in TSP again  and then wash again with warm clean water.  The second wash will remove any traces of the TSP product.

The more prep work you can do, the better your project will come out.  For the more intricate corners or inset parts of your cabinets, using a brush will give you a thicker more durable coat.  A roller can be used but I prefer using a brush.  

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Be sure to take pictures/Video of your project. Before-during and after and share it with us in our Project Library under “I Did This”. 

Posted 2013-08-02T23:34:00+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

My kitchen cabinets are not wood. If you tap your nails on them, they have a "plastic" like covering on them. How would you paint them? My house was built in 1968 - I don't want a brady bunch kitchen anymore! ;)

Posted 2013-08-21T12:36:24+0000  by CherZauser

Hi Cher,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Prepping the surface to be painted is the most important step.  I have been using the powder form of TSP when painting in my kitchen. You will only need one application of this type of TSP but you will need several rinses to remove the TSP residue but each time you rinse, more of the dirt and oil on the ceiling will come off.  I would triple rinse just to be safe.

Once the surface has dried you can sand any spots that need it with a #220 sand paper.  With a plastic coating over the surface, you should not have to do much sanding, just enough to rough up the surface. Your next step will be to rinse again to remove any debris from the sanding.  It sound like a pain I know, but when you do things the right way, you only have to do it once!

Your next step will be to use a primer that is designed for painting over a plastic surface.  Check with your local Home Depot Paint Department for recommendations.  Out here on the West Coast we use Glidden’s “Gripper” as a primer for this type of plastic surface.

Primer-Gripper by Glidden.jpg

After your primer has been applied, you will want to use a “Semi-Gloss” paint.  This can be applied with a brush & roller or airless sprayer.  (An airless sprayer takes a bit more prep).

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Be sure to take pictures of your project from start to finish and share them with us in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Posted 2013-08-23T18:24:11+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+