Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do I paint over a kitchen floor tile?

Hello!

I just moved into an apartment that has several small (4 inches x 4 inches) floor tiles that I would like to paint over. The paint can't be permanent because I would have to somehow remove it when I moved out. Does anyone have advice on how I could do this (i.e. paint a temporary coat of paint on a tile that I could later remove)?

Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-12T21:29:19+0000  by Round12 Round12

Hi there round12 and welcome to the community!

I work for The Home Depot in Southern California in the paint department and have been asked this question many times .I have never found it to be a good idea to paint over tile. In particular floor tile. The glaze used in the firing process, followed by the aluminum oxide coating applied over that make a nearly impenetrable surface to resist staining and wear from foot traffic. Since surface dirt or spills don’t stick well to it, neither does most paint. There are some epoxies that have come on the market recently that would give you appropriate adhesion, and stand up to most foot traffic. But you would also like to be able to remove it at some point. It has been my experience that this is an almost impossible task without doing some damage to the tile. I had similar problem a few years back. I solved my problem with a small area rug. You should also check with your local Home Depot to see if they carry any different products that we do not stock in our area. I hope I have been of some help. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you very much for the question!

TC

Posted 2011-04-12T22:47:00+0000  by TC_ArtDog

Way late to the game, but for future reference: There's always Home Depot's Trafficmaster Allure. This makes it easy to cover over that tile and doesn't have to be permanent.

Posted 2011-10-22T22:15:28+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+