Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do I pull up stubborn old linoleum glue from concrete?

Dad and I are trying to pull up the old linoleum in his kitchen, we are using hand scrappers old fashioned elbow grease.  Does anyone out there know of an easier way of going about this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-11T03:55:30+0000  by bonnielynne bonnielynne

Hi bonnielynne,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Pulling up that old tile can really be an arduous task for sure.  I just finished that same type of project in my kitchen, but I had 2 sets of tile to pull up! 

I tried using a heat gun, which worked but it was too slow for me.  I even rented a machine from our Home Depot Tool Rental to try to get the tile up but it did not work as well as I wanted.  I ended up using a Tamper Head Digging Bar, also known as a Mutt Bar  and old fashion elbow grease to pull up the tiles. 

Mutt Bar-Tamper bar.jpg

In addition to the Mutt Bar, there is another tool that is not as heavy as the Mutt Bar but it has a wider blade on it.  It sounds like you may be trying to pull up sheet linoleum in which case the wider scrapper may work better.  There are at least two different types of long handled scrapping tools that may work well for you and they are the 4 inch Chopping Scraper or the 7 inch Sidewalk Scrapper.  

Chopping Scrapper 4 inch.jpg    Sidewalk scraper 7 inch.jpg

Heat Gun by Milwaukee 11.6 amp.jpg

You may have to use a combination of a Heat Gun and a 4 or 7 inch scraper.  Unfortunately, what you use depends on your particular situation.  I ended up trying a number of different approaches until I found the one that worked the best.  

Once you have removed the linoleum, you may have to use a diamond sanding machine to remove the rest of the adhesive from the floor to provide a good bonding surface for the next type of flooring you plan to install.  I replaced my linoleum tile with ceramic tile so it was necessary for me to have a clean surface for the tile to bond to.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Posted 2013-10-16T17:27:53+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+