Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do I remove latex paint from painted ceramic bath tile

The previous owner of the home actually  painted the ceramic tile walls in the bath/shower completely (not just spatters) with what I believer to be latex paint. I don't believe it is oil, but not sure.  I want to remove this paint as it is flaking and generally looks bad.  What is the quickest most effiicent way to remove this paint from the tile and grout without damaging the ceramic tiles.

Thank you,

Cathy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-28T22:36:16+0000  by Duggan1 Duggan1

Duggan,

If the tile underneath has a smooth glaze on it,  simple single edge razor blades should remove most of the paint. Smooth fired glaze is virtually glass and should not be damaged by the razor blade. If the paint is indeed latex, denatured alcohol or "Goof Off" will remove it. If oil paint, acetone or lacquer thinner should attack it. Be careful, both are highly flammable and even potentially explosive.

The grout itself can be cleaned up with a grout file. these are relatively inexpensive devises with carbide bits affixed to the edge. It will rapidly wear away the paint, leaving the original grout color.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2014-01-29T01:54:40+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+