Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How do I remove these nails and screws out of this door?

Just moved in to this new house and in the basement the previous owner had nailed and screwed a door shut. For the life of my, I can't even get the screws to budge and the nails are too deep to try and get out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-31T19:25:14+0000  by LittleDavey LittleDavey

One can't help but worry what horrors lurk behind a door that the owner felt compelled to both nail and screw closed with such ferocity... but.. if you're bent on discovery...

1) Can you get to the hinge? If so drop the pin and pull the door out backwards. You may have enough leverage to overcome the fasteners.

2) Get out the skillsaw and crowbar and demo the door. Replacement doors are cheap.

3) PLEASE take pictures of the room... My curiosity is KILLING ME.

Posted 2014-01-31T21:57:27+0000  by ASB1975
He nailed it on the side with the hinges as well. I'm pretty sure he hammered the screws in as well because I tried unscrewing them and nothing even moved.
Posted 2014-01-31T22:17:53+0000  by LittleDavey

Hi LittleDavey,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  We are glad that you are here.

To remove the stripped screws, the beast thing to use is a screw extractor.  It is like a drill bit I reverse.

Use your reversible drill in reverse, select the appropriate size screw extractor and insert it into the chuck your reversible drill.   Press down firmly on the center of the screw and slowly press the trigger to start your drill in reverse.  This should remove the screw.  

For the nails, you may be able to use what is called a “Cats Claw”.  This is like a flat type of a crow bar that is pounded underneath the head of the nail. 

Once this nail puller has gotten a grip on the nail, you can pull it up slightly enough to use what is called “Nippers” to pull the nail out far enough to get a grip on it with a claw hammer.

Once the head of the nail has been removed, it will be easier to drive the nail thru the door deep enough to allow you to get the door open.  You will need to use an extra-long Pin Punch to accomplish this task. 

This will sort of like a trial and error process, if one think does not work, you try a different approach.  If you just want to get the door open and do not wish to save it, you can use a Sawzall/Reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade to cut around the hinges and through the nails.  This is a bit messier than just pulling out the nails but it is effective.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-31T22:33:24+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+