Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How do I repair a 2'x6' uneven hole the drywall in the center of my ceiling in the bathroom? and what materials do I need?

Please help I've never done this... the hole was created by breaking in through the attic of my apartment (I lost my keys through the crack on the dock). I'm not a carpenter, I only have basic skills. I want to do this and buy the right and only necessary tools and materials.

Thanks,

Katie

Displaying 20160721_170804.jpg
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-21T21:16:42+0000  by K80shim K80shim

Do you mean a person sized hole, two feet by six feet?  If so then you want to cut out the damaged drywall from ceiling joist to ceiling joist.  It would probably be easier (but somewhat more expensive) to "sister" a 2x4 to the ceiling joists to give you a place screw in the drywall.  Depending on where the damaged area ends, you'll want to add a piece of 2x4 between the ceiling joists to give you a place to screw as well.

After that's it's just a matter of taping and mudding (using drywall joint compound).  Typically it takes three coats, feathering each coat out wider and wider.  Then sand, prime, and paint. 
Posted 2016-07-22T00:10:07+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+