Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

How do I repair a loose vct tile?

How do I repair a loose vct tile?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T21:20:19+0000  by drew2q drew2q

Hey drew2q,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

First off, before you do anything, you need to make sure that the loose VCT tile doesn't have any amounts of asbestos in it. Any tiles that are manufactured before 1978 have it in it, but even tiles were sold until the mid 1980's could have trace amounts of it, so knowing the age is crucial for your health when it comes to replacing it.

We have a great article already on our forums regarding asbestos tiles, you can ready about it here.

Once you have established whether or not it has asbestos, you can do things to it....repair it or replace it.

If it is in good shape and simply loose, you can purchase a small amount of VCT glue with a notched trowel or a urethane-based glue like Liquid Nails to adhere it back. Use a urethane glue that won't 'burn through' or show the glue bleeding through, like a vinyl rated adhesive if you go this route.

Standard Excelon Imperial Texture 12 in. x 12 in. Fortress White Vinyl Composition Commercial Tiles (45 sq. ft./case)

If it is beyond repairing, you can replace it with one of our instock or special ordering at your local store. One word of caution though, the store will be better since typically you'd have to order it a case at at time. You would replace it with the same glues as shown above.

In either case of replacing or repairing, make sure the subfloor underneath is clean and level before putting down the adhesive/tile.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-15T15:08:29+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+