Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How do I restore the wooden windows in my 1980's home?

I need to restore my windows badly. We thought about new windows, but not in the budjet as of right now. I hadn't thought too much about restoring them, but they really do add charm to our 1980's tri-level home. There is wood throughout most of our home, so I'm leaning toward making these eye catching windows clean and energy efficient. We recently noticed a black somewhat fuzzy mold on most of the windows, and that raised some major concern. The windows condensate so I'm guessing that's the source of the mold. Anyway, if anyone could tell me how to go about this project, and replacing the screens as well, I would so greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and God bless!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-05T22:52:13+0000  by laraemark laraemark

Hello laraemark and welcome to the community!

Restoring your current windows makes sense until your ready to budget for it. In the mean time, cleaning up the mold is easy, but you want to do it the right way. 

Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water.

If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:

• Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
  • Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
  • Wear non-porous gloves, protective eye wear and respirator
  • Alwaysfollowthemanufacturersinstructionswhenusingbleachoranyothercleaningproduct.

Once you have all the mold removed and the wood has had time to dry you can apply a coat of paint, this will brighten up the tired & old windows. All that mold, as you said was caused by condensation. Next winter purchase a hydrometer, this will show you your humidity level. Try to keep the humidity between  30 and 50 percent, you can also move the hydrometer to different parts of the home to get a more accurate assessment in that specific area. 

One more thing, make sure the windows are not leaking. Replace all cracked glass, caulk the outside of the window, and make sure the weather stripping is in good shape, otherwise replace it!

If you any other questions or concerns please let us know. 

Posted 2013-06-07T17:53:46+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+