Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

How do I 'sand' 1/4" off my granite counter top (side)?

Hello,

I have purchased a new Gas Range and it is slightly bigger than the gap I have in the kitchen. I would say I need 1/4 inch tops, if that. I just need a little bit of wiggle room to push the free standing gas range in. The granite on one side is extending about 1.5 to 2 inches.

My question: Is there a way to 'sand' or 'cut' maybe 1/4" inch from the granite counter top side? Is this possible at all? If it is possible, what tools do I need and how would I do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-27T16:20:51+0000  by deepak_vg deepak_vg

Hello deepak_vg!

Dry cutting installed counters requires a special blade like the Rigid 7-inch Diamond Stone Blade for cutting granite, marble, and hard stone.

This wet/dry blade can be used on your installed counters without water to cool and lubricate the cutting surface.

Take your time since you will be "dry" cutting.

Your Hardware Associate can show you this and other similar blades ... be certain to choose a dry cutting blade specifically made for granite.

Posted 2013-06-27T17:40:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Assuming you don't want to move the countertop, the only tool for the job is a right angle grinder and a diamond wheel.  It's going to make a mess and blow lots of dust around your kitchen.  There are "dust hoods" for grinders that hook up to a shop vac but you aren't going to find one at Home Depot.  Have someone help, holding the vac hose near the blade.  Use a good filter (Goretex Clean Stream).  It also will take a steady hand to make a straight cut over the distance of most countertops.

The other option is to pull the countertop.  Then you can use a worm drive saw that's been modified to water cool the blade.  Or have a helper use pump up type sprayer to apply water to the blade.  Then you can use a straight edge to run the saw against.  You'd get a much better cut and wouldn't have the dust mess.  If you use water make sure the saw is plugged into a GFCI receptacle.

If the cut edge is going to be visable, you're probably going to need to polish it a bit too.

Given the cost of buying the tools and the chance of damaging an expensive piece of stone, you might want to think about contacting the fabricator and asking what they would charge for the job.

Posted 2013-06-28T13:37:09+0000  by Adam444
You will need a stone cutter to get your counter tops in shape. But I would suggest you ask some professionals to get your granite slabs cut for you.
Posted 2014-05-17T11:36:59+0000  by susanblue

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+