Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

How do I select the proper size for a kitchen ventilation fan?

I want to add a ventilation fan for a 10 x 12 kitchen.  It has a ductless fan in the range hood.  Can I use a 50 CFM bathroom fan?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-11T18:47:00+0000  by Cal--678 Cal--678

Hello Cal--678,

Thanks for joining us here on the community, welcome!

I'm not sure I am quite understanding your question....do you want to keep your existing vent-free range hood but still install an additional vent fan in the ceiling? Or are you thinking about replacing the range hood with a bathroom fan?

If it were me, I would keep the existing range hood (which I think is what you were referring to).

According to our Buying Guide for Range Hoods & Range Hood Ventilation:

"Units with higher CFM rates move more air, and the Home Ventilating Institute, a nonprofit organization that certifies products and provides consumer information in the field of residential ventilation, recommends a minimum of 40 CFM for every linear foot of range. So, if you have a 3' range, you’d need a range hood with at least 120 CFM. For gas cooktops, a good estimate is to have 1 CFM for every 100 BTUs of power the stove has."

With that said, you can place a 50 CFM bath fan in the ceiling near the cooktop, provided the existing range hood is working. Also, you'll need to run a ventilation system through the attic leading to outside of the house to provide adequate airflow.

Update us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-11T20:01:42+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+