Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How do I stop rats from eating through cobblestone wall in basement

I have cobblestone basement walls and RATS are eating through the cement/ mortar that is holding the rocks together. What should I do to correct this problem? Will quickcrete be a solution?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-17T13:10:46+0000  by Nic78 Nic78

Hi there Nic78,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  Welcome to the community!

I’m sorry to hear about your rat problem!    However, with the help of my co-worker Maureen, we have a couple of ideas for you to get this problem under control.

I’m not sure how much damage the rats have done yet or if the problem is just beginning.  Your strategy will depend on the amount of damage to your property and the temperature of the state that you live in.  If they have eaten their way in then you will probably have to repair the mortar.  Attached is a PDF, on how to repoint the mortar on your wall.  If it is real cold, then this could be a challenge.  Quickrete also made a video on how to repair your wall using Mortar Repair and a caulk gun.

Repointing will fix the wall but not necessarily fix the “problem”.  GREATSTUFF makes a product called Pestblock.  It is an insulating foam sealant that contains a bitter substance to keep rodents and mice out.  They do not like the taste of it, so it keeps them away.  This might be what you need for a temporary solution until you can take care of the mortar.

GREAT STUFF Pest Block.jpg

GREAT STUFF application.jpg

Now that you have a plan for the wall, where are the rats coming from?  You will need to fix the source otherwise; you are going to have the problem repeat itself.  Rats like garbage, so be sure that they cannot get into your trash outside.  They also like to eat birdseed.  Avoid feeding the birds.  They are also attracted to pet food, so try and keep the outdoors clean of any attractants.

There are rat traps and poison bait that can be used both inside and outside.  It is important to look into each product for safety especially if you have pets or children.  There are many kinds that are very effective but you certainly do not want anyone or anything to get into the bait other than a rat or a mouse.

Inside, you can use a plug in Sonic Pest Repellent, such as the Pest-A-Cator.

Pest A Cator.jpg

I have been told by many customers that they actually do work.  They provide a high pitched noise that only a rodent can hear.  The sound makes them want to get out.  A caution with this is if you have any rodents as pets, such as a hamster because they can hear the sound as well.  This product is safe for humans and dogs and cats.  Be sure to double check any package instructions.

I hope this information has been helpful to you and please let us know if you have and additional questions or concerns.  We are here to help!

Posted 2013-12-17T16:21:02+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+