Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How do I trim cut a eucaboard (hardboard) edge

I purchased a 4x8 sheet of Eucaboard (hard board) to lay over plywood for a worktable for my wife. I planned to run trim around the edge so it has a nice inset look.

However, when I got the Eucabaord home, I found out that it is 1/4 inch oversized!  So how do I trim 1/4" off and still leave a nice sharp (and straight) edge?  I have a table saw but I'm afraid that it will feather the edge like crazy.  Plus, I think it's going to be tricky to run a floppy 4x8 sheet through without wobbling somewhere and putting a curve into it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-01T21:02:29+0000  by MinnGuy MinnGuy

Hello MinnGuy,

Welcome to the community.

You could use your table saw but it is very tricky to keep it flat on the table top. It would be easier if you have a circular saw with a edge guild and a blade with 40 tpi than you could use that. Lay the hard board on top of a piece of plywood and clamp it down to keep it from moving on you while you cut it.

OR....

If you purchased it at your local Home Depot than the answer is even easier. Take it back to the Home Depot and ask them to cut it for you. They should have a nice big panel saw that will cut the 1/4" inch off and still leave a nice clean edge.:smileywink: 

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-05-01T22:37:30+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
I would like to the size know if home depot charge to cut the board to the size you need it to be. They have some plywood that need but it's 4ft x 8ft. I need it 3ft x 6ft
Posted 2013-05-02T16:27:18+0000  by lovinmypink

Hello Lovinmypink,

Welcome to the community.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the 4' x 8' sheet cut down for free.

Normal practice in my store is the first 2 cuts are free and then every cut after that is .25 per cut.

Double check with a lumber associate to make sure but you should be ok.

Let me know how it goes.

What are you building with the sheet of plywood?

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help. 

Posted 2013-05-03T17:51:01+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+