Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

How do I upgrade from a single 60w bulb in a two car garage?

I currently have a single 60w bulb located in the center of a two car/two bay garage. How would I go about upgrading the lighting? I want more light but am not sure how to go about it. Besides the light in the center there is also one outlet in the back corner nearest the door to enter the house but that is used for the garage door openers.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-12T22:38:02+0000  by pataskalapete pataskalapete

palaskalapete,

There are a couple simple choices. First, you can use a couple smaller wattage bulbs screwed into a "Y" adaptor.

This is a simple device which screws into the existing fixture, but then forms a Y into which two bulbs may be screwed. It is even possible to again split the two sockets allowing a total of four bulbs to be used.

Simpler, is to simply buy a 300 watt equivalet spiral compact flourescent bulb at Home Depot. These use about 60 watts, but give the light of a 300 watt incandescent bulb. I have four ceiling fixtures in my garage, each with one of these 300 watt equivalent bulbs. I now have to wear sunglasses when I go into my garage! :)

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-06-12T22:50:25+0000  by ordjen

Hello pataskalapete.  Welcome to the Community!

While upgrading the single bulb you have to something more powerful will shed more light in the same area, I think you might want to consider expanding the number of locations you have lights in the garage.  To do this you would need to add ceiling/outlet boxes and the wiring to them.

I highly recommend this book, Wiring 1-2-3, sold at Home Depot stores as well as HERE at homedepot.com.

Wiring 123.jpg

You may be surprised how simple it can be to add service to different areas of your garage.

Chris.

Posted 2013-06-14T20:28:54+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Chris,

This is essentially what I did.  I had only two ceiling utility type light fixtures. Unfortunately, both were on the same side of a large support beam which goes down the middle of the garage. The beam blocked light from traveling across the whole ceiling. I added two additional  light fixtures on the other side of the beam. These four fixtures now have the 300 watt equivalent compact flouresent bulbs.

Posted 2013-06-15T04:26:41+0000  by ordjen

smiley.jpg

Posted 2013-06-18T14:43:28+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thank you, Chris. Next time I'm at my local Home Depot I'll see if they have a copy. I assume it covers all the how to's and required knowledge to get the job done safely. It's an older house and I don't want to overload the curcuit.

Once again, Thanks.

Posted 2013-06-19T15:22:05+0000  by pataskalapete

Thanks, Ordjen. My problem is kind of like yours. I have one fixture on one side of a beam that goes half way across my garage. Sound like a quick and easy fix. I'm going to get the book Chris suggested and see what kind of design I can come up with.

Once again, Thanks.

Posted 2013-06-19T15:29:11+0000  by pataskalapete

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+