Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How do i frame in a passthrough window?

The previous homeowner tried to create a passthrough window form the kitchen to the living room.  They left it incomplete.  I have fixed the wall but have never framed a window before.  What do I need to do?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-19T20:14:44+0000  by LonnieD LonnieD

What has been done so far?  Just the rough opening (meaning framing lumber and drywall)?


If so you can use door jamb stock to cover the rough framing with what's called door jamb moulding.  It will need to be cut to length to fit the opening and nailed into place.



Then the edges of the jamb moulding get covered with casing just like a window or door.  The profile (shape) of the casing would match the existing doors and windows.  Those corners get mitered just like a door or window.



I just picked paint grade moulding, but stain grade is available as well.





Posted 2013-12-20T00:23:11+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for your help.
Posted 2013-12-20T00:30:22+0000  by LonnieD
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question