Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do you cover up repaired &parts on wall that were spackled, sanded, primed & painted but show?

I spackled parts on the wall that that either small holes or small cracks or indentations.  After spackling, I sanding well with a sanding block. I wiped with a dry rag to collect any dust.  I primed each spot with a small brush and finally gave it two coats in a sort of tan/beige color.  The problem is you could see where the repair was done and I don't like the way it looks.  I have just finally tried using small roller and went over it after using a small brush to kind of feather out the painted spot.  I don't know what else to do.  I can't have these spots showing and one of them is like a long seam?  Please help me.  The paint is a Satin BEHR purchased at Home Depot.

I've used this kind of paint before and I love the after look.  Now I'm so stuck.  Hope you can help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-06T13:33:47+0000  by rmarg rmarg

I completely feel your pain - been there so many times myself.

You sound like you take great pride in your work and have described everything in great detail. You have done everything right - so for the benefit of someone else reading this that may not have a lot of experience with painting I will attempt to explain why this happens.

Symptoms:

Walls can accumulate a small texture pattern every time its painted (from the paint roller) and over time it becomes more defined. When a "patch" is applied and sanded smooth all those small mountains of texture have suddenly been neutralized and looks different than the surrounding texture pattern.  Most of the time this is not very noticeable unless a higher sheen paint like satin, semi-gloss, or gloss is applied. These sheens will amplifiy the problem and the differences in texture are more noticeable.

Cure:

Use a tiny "touch up"roller or small trim roller to build up those flat areas with texture.  It may require several coats depending on the walls history and how many coats of paint it's had. Use a light to hold right up to wall at an angle to see if the new pattern is blending in to the existing pattern.

Once you are satisfied with the results - paint the whole wall with a good consistent coat of paint.

Sorry for all your trouble.:smileysad:

Posted 2013-10-06T16:03:45+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Often what is being seen is the abrupt edge left by the spackle knife where it started or stopped, especially in those areas of the country where textured walls are popular. Unfortuantely, sanding levels the surface , but does not totally get rid of this edge. To avoid this, I prefer to patch with drywall  mud or easy sand "hot mud". Unlike the pre-mixed spackling compounds, which are vinyl based, drywall mud can be feathered out with a damped sponge to blend into the surrounding texture.

If doing a small patch, such as where a molly or toggle anchor was removed, I go through great effort to  not to fill the surrounding texture. Just like doing paint touch up, the less area you disturb, the less it is likely to be obvious.

If working on textured walls, the patch has to blended ion before the touch-up texture is sprayed on.

On smooth walls, measures such as Kevin has mentioned, try to emulate the texture left by past paint jobs. I often looked for an old, raggy roller, so as to leave a more pronounced texture. A new roller  still has tight nap and will lay out the paint too smoothly.

Observations of an ol' painting contractor.

Posted 2013-10-07T01:05:30+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+