Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

How do you do a faux marble finish on a bowling ball?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-20T05:33:21+0000  by har11 har11

Hey har11,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I must say, that this would be a very fun project to do! For starters, getting a faux marble finish is easy to do, keeping it that way and giving it a shiny finish is a different manner.

In other words, you'll want to make sure that the final top clear coat will handle the everyday rigors of the lanes. I've found that automobile grade clear coats that are sprayed on can work, but I've yet to see anything that tough sold in the aisles of our store.

The faux finish itself can be easily done. You'd first need to make a lighter base coat color painted as you normally coat a surface. After that is dry, you can choose a darker color and sponge it on lightly. Lastly, use a white or off-white color and apply that with a large turkey feather to give yourself the marble veining appearance.

Experiment with the sponging and feathering techniques so you can get the best look. Also, adding a paint extender such as a Faux Glaze or Floetrol works great to smooth out the paint and give it a better appearance and drying time.

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Joseph

Posted 2013-10-05T18:47:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+