Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How do you install window security bars?

Would like to get security bars for my windows around house, would I be able to install these myself?  What tools would I need for an average size 24x24 window? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-24T03:41:40+0000  by zorda34 zorda34

Hello Zorda34,

Yes this is a project that I think you could do on your own.

The only tools that you would need are a drill, drill bits, measuring tape, pencil, and a one way screw driver bit.One way screw driver.jpg

All you need to do is determine if you are going to install them as an inside or outside mount. This will determine what kind of brackets you will need to purchase along with the actual security bars.

Than measure and mark the location where each screw will go so that you can pre-drill the holes. 

Attach one side of the brackets. Don't tighten the screws all the way until you have all of the brackets installed. This will allow you to make sure that it's level before you tighten all of them. 

Then place the security bars onto the brackets. Insert the brackets for the other side and attach them.

Make sure that it's level and tighten all 4 screws. There you go your window is now secure. :smileyhappy:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-05-29T20:26:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+