Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do you repaint a metal radiator cover?

I have metal radiator covers that were last painted 6 years ago. The tops have some rust spots. What is the best way to repaint them? Should I sand them first? What is the best spray paint to use, and should I use a primer? Thank you for any advice! I'm new to DIY!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-24T17:18:35+0000  by Lyndie1126 Lyndie1126

Welcome to the community:smileyvery-happy:

If the covers can be removed..Then lightly sand them and then use a high quality spray paint like Rust Oleum's Universal spray paint.  

Rust-Oleum Universal 12-oz. Universal Paint and Primer

If they cannot be removed..Then cover the surrounding area with plastic or newspaper, open a window for ventilation, lightly sand and paint.

Posted 2013-06-24T19:50:54+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello Lyndie1126!

Most paints are not designed to withstand much more than average daily temperatures.

Since your radiators might generate above average heat, I wanted to add several recommendations.

After you remove any flaking, create a strong base for your paint using Rust-Oleum High Heat Primer; rated for 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Primer is like double-stick tape ... it grabs the metal surface and then gives your paint a surface it can cling to easily.

Then you can use one of the other high heat paints to complete your project:

1) Rust-Oleum High Heat Flat Black, which withstands 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit; or

2) Rust-Oleum High Heat Grill Paint, which withstands 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and comes in white, black and several other colors.

All of these high heat products are specifically designed for metal and will withstand almost any temperature your radiator can generate.

Posted 2013-06-25T18:32:52+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+