Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How do you take old paint off concrete floors?

We have applied painter stripper/scrapped with floor scrappers/tried muriatic acid with no luck.  How do we get this paint off our concrete floor?  It is a restaurant kitchen.  We have degreaser ready to put on it but can't get the 3 layers of paint up at this point.

We are getting desperate - any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-25T14:25:05+0000  by BBH713 BBH713

Some of the industrial coatings are pretty resistant to most chemicals, for obvious reasons.  You wouldn't want spill a cleaning chemical and have the paint come up.

You might be looking at mechanical means like a concrete grinder.  That's probably a job best left to the professionals but you can rent the equipment.  Just remember that concrete dust contains silicia, which is harmful.

Posted 2013-05-25T15:40:34+0000  by Adam444

hello BBH713,

Welcome to the community!

I see that Adam444 has given you some tips on getting the paint off the concrete floors. Muratic Acid is used as a cleaner, which is why it didn't work as a paint removing agent.

One item I really like is sold in our stores and is shown below. It is a semi-paste and tough paint remover. Unlike the liquid strippers, the gel in the semi-paste form cuts layers of paint all at once and doesn't evaporate and leave as much fumes.

Klean-Strip 1 gal. KS-3 Premium Stripper

Use the stripper above with chemical-resistant scrapers and gloves. Work in small sections at a time and let the semi-paste set for 20 minutes. Scrape off, and keep working until the paint is up.

If this doesn't work for you, try Adam's suggestions as well.

Let us know what solution has worked for you, and keep us updated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-25T17:26:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello BBH713!

It appears that you have already tried a chemical stripping agent.

I don't advise my DIY customers to use these dangerous chemicals on large surfaces.

They leave layers of chemicals that will unseat your new paint if not removed properly ... significant extra labor.

Although Adam recommends a professional for the floor grinder, I actually like this tool for DIYers.

Not all Tool Rental departments have these buffer-style grinders, however the tool is designed with a vacuum canister to help limit dust and make cleanup a dry process.

Before proceeding with chemicals, take time to ask about this option locally.

I believe you'll find this tool works very well, particularly on layers of floor coating.

But most importantly, it is much safer!

Posted 2013-05-28T14:32:02+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+