Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How does corrugated metal siding hold up in salty sea air?

Here's the second question about corrugated metal for today...

This came to us on the Apron blog on a very popular article showing some http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/meet-the-material-corrugated-sheet-metal-at-home-depot/">unusual ways folks about used corrugated sheet metal-- in a garden, as a wall covering and a headboard. 

The article prompted a question from a reader who uses the handle Beach Bungalow.

"I’m thinking of using corrugated panels as siding on portions of my beach house. Wondering how it would hold up in the salt air…???"

I don't spend a whole lot of time near the ocean, but I can't remember seeing much corrugated metal on beaches. Maybe there's a reason for that. 

What's the advice for Beach Bungalow?

-Craig, from the Apron blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-20T16:04:52+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Craig,

None of the common ferrous metals will hold up in a salt environment. Window manufacturers supplying windows to the seaside use stainless steel on their hinges and crank mechanisms.

Every time you drill through or cut galvanized, you are making a vulnerable point where the salt can eat away at the underlying steel. I am not sure what the metal roof guys use in such areas. Perhaps this material is adaptable for siding use. You might want to contact roofing/siding people in these seaside areas.

Posted 2013-02-20T21:13:43+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+