Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How many square feet will one gallon of paint cover?

I have 366 sq. ft. to paint. How much paint will I need? I don't need any "left-overs".

How many square feet will one gallon of paint cover?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-30T16:41:11+0000  by mrnutz mrnutz

Mrmutz,

366 square feet would be at the upper limit of what a gallon of paint would normally cover. If the walls are very well sealed and the color change is not dramatic, you could conceivably make it. However, I would hedge my bet and order an extra quart and mix the two cans together before starting.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-10-30T17:49:17+0000  by ordjen

Welcome to our community Mrnutz!

Thank you for your question! There is no set answer to your question. A gallon of paint covers between 250-400 square feet per gallon. The reason this is such a wide range, is because how it covers depends on how porous the walls are, what color you are painting and what color you are painting over, just to name a few. You also need to keep in mind that, typically, two coats of paint are applied.

If your walls have a good coat of paint on them now, and you are painting the same color, or a similar color, my guess would be that you would need 1 gallon. However, this is just a guess. You will need 2 gallons if you apply a second coat. 

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-10-30T17:55:23+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+