Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How much cement, grout do I need to install 1000 sq Ft of ceramic tile or marble?

I am trying to estimate the cost of materials for installing 1000 sq Ft of ceramic tile/marble.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-06T13:20:32+0000  by 4M1205 4M1205

Hey 4m1205,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I can't quote an exact price for you due to the fact that we don't know where you live. I work in the Atlanta are Home Depot, and prices can vary from one store to the next, even though we are in the same market area.

However, I can tell you how much materials and items you will need for your 1K Sq. Ft. area. You will need to add an additional 10 percent for waste and broken tiles in your estimate to ensure you will have enough for the job.

Once you have the list, you can simply look online here for your local pricing or come into your nearest Home Depot for an exact quote. Also, click on each image in this post, and it will link you directly to your local areas pricing and availability on each product.

Let's get started.

Tile Backerboard

For starters, I don't know how or where the tile is going, but if it is in an area like a kitchen or bath that is going to be exposed to moisture, I would recommend using tile backerboard first in those areas.

If you have a concrete slab subfloor then disregard, but if this is going to be over a wooden subfloor, putting backerboard down will give you a moisture barrier and a great foundation for your tiles.

All backerboards The Home Depot sells come in 3 ft. x 5 ft. sections, which is 15 square feet.

Some stores do carry a 4' x 8' sheet of backerboard, which will save you in time and effort.

Your 1,000 square feet divided by 15 square feet will give you about 67 sheets to finish the job. 32 sheets would be needed if you are using the 4' x 8' sections.

Use the thinner 1/4" sheets, as any sheets thicker can and will raise your floors higher. Click on the image below to view the various backerboards we carry.

Tile Backerboard

You'll also need backerboard screws and mortar to fasten and adhere the boards to the subfloor. One bag of mortar, if spread and applied evenly, can go upwards of 100 square feet a bag. So, use 10 bags to help secure the backerboard down to the subfloor, with the screws.

Thin-Set Mortar (cement)

Depending on what kind of tile you will use will determine what kind of mortar you will use. Almost all of our bagged mortars come in 50 lbs. and have the same spread rate, which is upwards of 100 square feet a bag. However, it it were me, I would buy 12 bags to cover 1,000 square feet, just to make sure you have enough when you are already in the project.

For ceramic or porcelain tiles, I would recommend the mortar shown and linked below. Click on it to find out pricing and more info.

VersaBond 50 lb.Fortified Thin-Set Mortar Gray

For marble or other natural stones, use a stronger mortar that will hold up to the weight of each tile. This mortar is shown below. Click on it below for pricing and more information.

Marble and Granite 50 lb. Marble and Granite Fortified Premium Mortar

Grout

This is where the estimates will rely on you to give yourself an accurate estimate. Grout, as you may or may not know, can be installed in varying degrees of thicknesses. Typically, most floors are installed from 1/8" thicknesses up to 1/2". 

As for the grout itself, I would recommend you to use a sanded grout that will withstand foot traffic and any slight movement of the floor.

Custom Building Products #122 Linen 25 lb. Sanded Grout

As for how much you will need...that depends on the size of tiles, the depth of the tiles, and how much space you want the grout to fill in. 

For example, if you choose 12" x 12" square tiles that were 3/8 inches thick, and you want 3/8" wide grout joints, you would need eight 25 lbs. bags of sanded grout for the job. If you change any of these calculations, then the amount of grout you will need will change as well. 

Refer to the manufacturer of our grout, Custom Building Products, website for a grouting calculator. You can find it here to get the exact amount of grout you will need for the job.

The Tile

Figuring out how much tile you will need for the job is just like the grout...it will depend on what you choose.  The key here is to find out how many square feet are in each carton of tile you purchase. Click on the image below to shop for all tiles we carry in our store and online for pricing.

Floor Tile Selections from The Home Depot

Simply divide your total square feet (1000) by how many square feet are in each carton. This will equal how many boxes you will need.

For example, if a box of 12" x 12" tiles come in a 15 square foot carton, then you'll need about 67 boxes to cover the entire 1000 square feet.

Other Items Needed

While you may not consider this part of the estimate, you will need other materials we haven't talked about yet.

For example, you'll need backerboard mesh tape and a backerboard cutter to trim the backerboard as needed. 

Also, using a good tile sealer is needed as well to finish and protect what you've just installed. You may need several bottles to effectively cover the entire surface. Throw in a good set of knee pads, mortar trowel and some grouting sponges, and you'll have just about everything you'll need to give yourself an estimate for your new floors.

Sealing your tile

Well I hope this information has assisted you, and let us know if you have any further questions regarding your materials. 

And remember, click on the images to get pricing on all of the materials we discussed in this post. 

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-06T19:53:00+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+