Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How much will it cost to build a 16x24 carport off the back of my garage? What materials will I need

I have a concrete block garage and I need to rebuild a carport of the back side of it. The measurements of the carport is 16 feet of the back of the garage by 24 feet, which is the length.  What size beams should I use for the 16 foot span? What size beam should I use for the 24 foot span? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-09T15:56:44+0000  by timmead36 timmead36

Hi timmead,

The construction details and requirements will be spelled out in your local cities building code.

The first step in any project is to visit the city and determine if the project is legal to construct and what size and height are allowed by the city.

If local zoning allows a carport, the city will specify the type, size and construction details.

Once you have a plan approved by the city, take your plans to your local Home Depot and our Pro Desk associates can give you an estimate of the material costs.

Mike,

Posted 2013-10-10T18:47:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi timmead, I'll tell you up front I'm a home owner not a salesman or contractor. This past summer I had a garage put up, 22 x 36 steel building with one 9 x 8 roll up garage door and one 36 inch man door, I purchased it from Carolina Carports out of North Carolina. The installed price was $5400. You should at least check out there website, you can build and color carports and garages, it will quote a price. Read the snow and wind warranty, and they can be earth anchored which my zoning approved. On there site you can locate a local dealer, you can not purchase directly from them but if you call them for any reason a real person will answer the phone every time. Good luck, JCM

Posted 2013-11-22T00:00:15+0000  by jcmgarage

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+