Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How should I go about removing a set of interior French Doors to add a heavier single door?

I really hate the French Doors that open into my Master Bedroom. They are unsecure, and thin. I hear every little sound in my house and my room mates hear music/tv from my room that I didn't even think was that loud. 

The way that they are installed is also concerning to me because they seem very insecure. I trust my roommates, but I would like the extra peace of mind knowing that I have a more secure door to my room.


I would like to replace the set with a large single door that is a bit heavier. I know that this would involve removing door trim as well as adding dry-wall. 
Has anyone attempted a project like this?

Most of the things I have found online involve ADDING french doors. It seems like very few people remove theirs.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-04T08:40:20+0000  by williamlv282 williamlv282

I'm sorry, I think French Doors isn't accurate.

Only one door has a handle. They're just double doors I guess. Both have hinges and swing open, but only one has a handle.

Posted 2013-12-04T08:56:22+0000  by williamlv282

To remove the doors, you're going to have to do some framing (you'll need something to attach the drywall to), drywall, paint, trim the new door, and extend the baseboard moulding to the new door.  


I'm wondering if it might not be easier to replace the existing, presumably hollow core, doors with solid doors.  You can purchase what's called a door "slab" (which is just the door itself without the frame).  You'll have to mortise for the hinges, and install the hardware but that's probably easier and cheaper than completely removing the old doors. 

Posted 2013-12-04T14:06:06+0000  by Adam444


Adam's suggestion is especially good if you are not the owner of this property. The original doors could be stored away and returned to their original position at a future time. If you convert to a single door, it would be well advised to get the landlords OK first.

Posted 2013-12-04T18:55:37+0000  by ordjen

Thanks for the replies. I do own my home though. I wouldn't need anyone's permission to modify the house.

Posted 2013-12-05T18:44:41+0000  by williamlv282




You obviously then  can do whatever you want. I am not an expert on sound lessening. I can, however, tell you that sound can find its way through the tiniest hole. That replacement door needs to be sealed almost like an exterior door. The same voids that will let air sneak through, will let sound through. The "Archilles heel"  is sealing the bottom edge, as it needs to clear the floor or carpet, yet seal tightly when closed.


You might also want to consider how else sound is making its way into the room. A simple 2x4 wall with normal drywall on it is a poor blocker of sound. Retrofitting is not always easy. There are special sound absorbing insulations which can be put in a wall cavity, as there are  special sound deadening drywall panels and drywall isolators upon which to hang drywall.


Common air returns are a problem. Even electrical outlets and switches that are common to wall cavities shared by  other rooms can let lots of noise through.


It would probably be cheaper and easier  to get quieter tenants!  :)

Posted 2013-12-05T22:28:21+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question