Sign In to join the community | Help
Our Workshops

How to Build a Dog Ramp

I'm looking to make a ramp for my dachshund. She's only 8 lbs. and is recovering from a ruptured disc. It would be placed near the couch which is only a few feet off the ground. I have never built anything so any tips/suggestions/what I would need (tools)/video links/anything would be super helpful. Thank you in advance :)
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-10-29T22:47:39+0000  by Tweety6545 Tweety6545

WOW Tweety6545,

As a dog lover, I can really empathize ... my yellow lab is twelve and beginning to show his age.

He loves to ride in the convertible with the top down.

As for your dog ramp, my good friend George wrote this post about building a ramp up stairs:

Building a Ramp Over Stairs

It is certainly possible you could use his ideas over a wooden step stool.

Other Community Members will have their own contributions.

I hope you and your dachshund share many more years together!
Posted 2015-10-29T22:57:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hello Tweety6545.

A very simple solution for a ramp might just be a 1x10 board, about 4 to 4.5 feet long that you could simply lay on a couch cushion on one end and the floor on the other.  This would make a simple ramp that you could easily move out of the way when you want to.  In order to make the ramp slip resistant, use two of these stair tread safety strips with simply stick onto the wood.

Safety Walk Step Tape

Please note that the boards will actually measure 3/4" thick by 9 1/4" wide.  This should be more than sufficient for your Dachshund.  If you get the least expensive common board, you will want to sand it, especially at the edges.  Better quality board and hardwood will cost more, but look better and not require much sanding at all.

Your local Home Depot store should carry the safety tape, and definitely carries a variety of 1x boards as well as sandpaper.  A sanding sponge of medium grit would also work well here.

Chris.

Posted 2015-10-30T16:51:58+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+