Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

How to Build a Flower Tower

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-26T21:00:04+0000  by HomeDepotTara HomeDepotTara

Try reading the attached article..." Are your plants drowning".  I have experienced this in the past. I really don't think it's your choice of using petunias. While you're on the Proven Winner website, check out their great advice on fertilizing and watering petunias and other annuals during the hot summer months.  Just pull up one of their Supertunia colors and read  toward the bottom of that information.

I hope this helps, then post what happened and if you were successful.

Good Luck...Dan

http://www.provenwinners.com/learn/wait-plant-drowning

Posted 2013-06-25T07:16:44+0000  by DanB44

I built this recently.  very easy to do.  Yes, a PVC pipe down the center is a good idea.  I drilled and pushed mine through as it was an after thought but it was easy to get in.  Just angle cut one end so it's kind of like a spear, then I duct taped it off so dirt couldn't get in.  My issue is, getting the flowers in without wrecking the roots and stems.  I used my petunias..wrecekd and dead.  boguht some vincas recently to replace the petunias.  They're not looking os hot.  Any one got any advice?  And what other plants would be best for this other than petunias and vincas for the Southern Louisiana climate 9a/9b for hardiness and 9 for heat zone and 28 for Sunset zone.  I'm preferably looking for something that at least stay green year round..even if it only blooms seasonally, just so i don't have to fight to replace plants.

Posted 2013-06-25T06:51:42+0000  by whitetiger_0603

We installed several coils of a soaker hose from the bottom to the top of my two flower towers. Even though I left the soaker hose on for 30 minutes every other day, I noticed my petunias were getting stressed and many died. I believe this is because the tower is up in the air and it is susceptible to drying out quickly, as the wind easily penetrates through the weed guard fabric. Certainly the loose,  consistency of the potting soil mix, as recommended by The Home Depot, is a contributing factor that allows the soil to quickly dry out.

I also noticed that the same petunias planted in ceramic pots were doing great. I had originally used over 100 plants in two towers and have had to recently replace half of them.

• SO, WHAT HAVE I LEARNED THAT I CAN PASS ON TO OTHERS?
  • Do not use 100% potting mix soil as recommended by THD. Instead, mix in other more dense soils that will hold water and not dry out so fast.
  • Make sure you use overlap the liner 6"-8" over the top fence wire of your tower. Then thread multiple plastic tie down straps through the fabric liner and tie them around the top wire of the fencing. You can't have to many. If you don't, the fabric will rip away from fencing top and sag 5" or more when you pour in the heavy soil.
  • Purchase your plants from THD or other stores/nurseries that have a good return policy if they die.
  • Choose trailing plants like Wave or Proven Winner Petunias.
  • Make sure the root ball is small, so you don't have remove half of the roots to make them fit into the small "X" opening. Multiple plants of 12 to a tray or in very small pots are best.
  • Fill in some of the empty spots or in the rim of your pot with chartreuse and burgundy Sweet Potato Vines ( they don't make edible tubers). But watch out, they grow quickly and you may want to trim them back.
  • Go to www.provenwinners.com for their advice on watering and fertilizing Petunias during the hot days of July & August.
  • Be prepared to water once or twice a day to keep your plants from drying out. Proven Winners recommends using a water soluble fertilizer every other day in these two months.
  • This has been a very expensive project, but hopefully one that will be well worth it. I hope these comments have helped some of you!
Posted 2013-06-15T01:14:37+0000  by DanB44

Great idea!  Instead of making a larger one I used a smaller 8-10inch flower pot with tower frame already built in. 

Posted 2013-06-02T16:26:29+0000  by daffodill52

I got the idea from someone on here. The first one I made I used the spikes of the cage to stabilize it. The second one I believe I'll put upside down, wide part on the bottom. Maybe add some bamboo poles to stabilize it. Gets pretty windy here! I had some PVC pipe already drilled with holes from a pond project that I used to put in the center of the tower.

Posted 2013-06-02T15:41:55+0000  by hunterstation
Smart. Tomato cage is what I will do too.
Posted 2013-06-02T15:21:59+0000  by Veggiezen
A tomato cage is a great suggestion! I like the idea of turning it upside down for a small top. A few pots with wide tops a few with small tops would look great.
Posted 2013-06-02T15:17:03+0000  by Veggiezen

My flower tower looks so sad.  The weight of the dirt is causing the bottom of my tower to bend and collapse.  I used the exact size pot that was recommended.  I also find that it's almost impossible to water.  I didn't see the pipe idea before I made it.  Way too much fabric is showing.  I used petunias but I don't think they will ever fill in enough.  I'm frustrated because it took way to long to do, costs way too much and it looks like a junky homeade project on my front stoop. 

Posted 2013-06-02T02:48:19+0000  by ajadamjq

Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I wanted to do this for awhile. I could only find flats of more mature flowers, and I was concerned about the wire mesh. So I wandered around HD for awhile and found some plastic garden fencing for $13, and it was enough for 2 towers! The holes are bigger, so I was able to plant the more mature flowers, and it looks pretty good for just being planted this morning! I didn't skip any spaces because the lattice on the plastic fencing was wider. Hope this might help keep the cost down for others wanting to do this project!

Posted 2013-06-01T22:49:55+0000  by ejwenke

I used tomato cages, cheaper than fencing.

Posted 2013-05-30T01:45:54+0000  by hunterstation
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+