Mod Podge

1” x 4” pine

Paint

#8 x ½” Pan Head screws

1/8” x 1” Fender washer

Magnets and / or Heavy Duty Felt Pads

Sandpaper

Picture or drawing

This project is perfect for any occasion. 

You can work with the kids for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day or make them for bridesmaids-grooms men’s, grandparents, college big / little sisters, birthdays, or any other event that you want a one of a kind special gift for that someone special.

Get ready for everyone to be bugging you to make one for them once they see it. 

Step 1:

Cut 1” x 4” into 3 ½” long pieces. This will make them into 3 ½” squares.

Step 2:

Draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other. Then make two marks one at 2” and the other at 3” from the corner. This is where you will drill your holes. Drill the 1 3/8” hole at the 2” mark ¼”-3/8” deep and then the 1” at the 3” mark 1/8” deep. Sand all areas till they are smooth. Wipe off all saw dust.

Step 3:

Insert a 1” fender washer into the 1” hole and fasten it in place with the ½” pan head screw.

Step 4:

Paint the edges and roughly ½” on top. You can paint the entire top if you’re not going to add a picture to the top with Mod Podge. Let dry completely.

Step 5:

Choose your pictures and cut them to 3 ¼” square. Set them aside for now. Now it’s time to adhere the picture to it with Mod Podge.

I find that it’s easiest if you use something to raise it off the table so that it won’t get stuck to the table and you can pick it up and not actually touch the opener. I’ve used cups, small boxes and even short pieces of a 2x4. As long as it’s smaller than the actual block it should be fine. I use a piece of tape to hold it in place.

Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to all edges and the top. (Without the picture) Let dry for 15-20 minutes. Apply another thin coat on the top and add the picture. Working from the center of the picture push out all of the air bubbles from under the picture and then center it. Apply a thin coat over the picture and all edges. Let dry for 15-20 minutes.

For a built up finish apply 5 thin coats. Letting each coat dry 15-20 minute before the applying the next coat.

Step 6:

I added 2 magnets and felt pads to the back of mine so that I could hang it on the fridge and use it as a coaster after I open my beverage.

Tip: If you’re going to use it as a coaster you can add a clear coat to it. Sometimes the Mod Podge becomes tacky to the touch without it.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-12T16:15:51+0000  by Christine_HD_OC Christine_HD_OC

Topic
Categories+