Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

How to Effectively Spot Clean Your Carpet

Sometimes, even after the vacuuming and deep cleaning, you still may have a few stubborn spots that just won't come up in your carpet.

Luckily, most everyday stains can come up. Years ago at one of my old apartments, I ran into a situation where I thought my dirty carpet in the living room would never come clean.

It was a textured and slightly off-white carpet that showed just about any speck and particle of dust. Doing homework from my drawing classes and wearing my boots in there didn't help the red clay and charcoal pencil dust from getting everywhere.

Before I moved out, even with routine vacuuming and renting a carpet cleaner extractor, there will still some stains that wouldn't come up completely.

On those spots, I used a product that I still stand by today to use for spot cleaning on carpets and is available at your local Home Depot.

Shown below and linked here, the Folex Spot Cleaner did an amazing job to get rid of those stains...some that were embedded fairly deep in the carpet.

Folex 36 oz. Carpet Spot Remover

To get started, you'd first need to do as I mentioned earlier....first vacuum the carpet. Once this is done, you can pre-treat the stains using this product. You would still need the carpet cleaner, especially for carpets where you know you have a warranty on them.

Proper cleaning is periodically required so as to uphold the warranty you have on it. The way I cleaned my carpet could vary from yours, so be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions on how to effectively take care of it.

For those stubborn stains, I used a combination of a cloth rag and nylon bristle scrub brush to get the spot cleaner effectively into the fibers of the carpet. Once that is done, I followed up with the carpet cleaner I rented from my Home Depot.

Be aware that the cleaner that goes into the carpet cleaning machine is different than this spot remover. Once I used the machine over the stains, it really looked like no stains were ever there.

So after all the ground in dirt and drawing pencil residue came off, I moved out and breathed a sigh of relief, since I left the carpet essentially as the day that I moved in.

Hopefully, this product can work for you. In all the time I've worked for Home Depot, it is one of the few products that I've actually used in a real-world situation...and it exceeded my expectations.

Be sure to grab a bottle next time you are in the store for your carpets. It really is an amazing cleaner for it.

Joseph

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-25T20:27:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Outstanding article Joe!

My experience with carpet cleaning is very similar, but I prefer Krud Kutter for both spot cleaning and as my carpet cleaning solution.

Easily found next to TSP on the solvent aisle, Krud Kutter has repeatedly proven color fast.

But when used as my cleaner, it removes noticeably more dirt from the carpet.

According to the manufacturer, Krud Kutter is:
  • Color fast, fabric safe and leaves no residue, safe for all carpet type, including synthetic, as well as stain resistant carpets
  • Can safely be used in carpet cleaners, floor cleaners, pressure washers, and more, there are no caustic chemicals to erode the o-rings
  • No harmful solvents or bleach
  • Water-based, bio-degradable, non-flammable , non-toxic , non-abrasive
  • Removes dried latex paint, paint over-spray, tape residue, glue & adhesives, food & drink stains, acid rain, bird droppings, smoke damage, tree sap, grease & oil, marker & crayons, pet stains, brake dust
Because it is safe on most surfaces and really works, Krud Kutter is my go-to all-purpose cleaner.
Posted 2015-07-28T21:15:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+