Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

How to Hang Floating Clothing Rack from Cement Ceiling?

I live in a loft with a cement ceiling. I'd like to hang a garment rack similar to the one in the picture below.

This needs to be about 7 feet long and hold my wife and I's clothing. So this will have to bear several hundred pounds. The main question I have is how and what am I drilling into the ceiling. Do I use hooks, anchors, or what? DIY projects are not my strong suit but I am good at figuring things out so please help me figure out what to do. Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-17T20:45:41+0000  by DevonMeadows DevonMeadows

Hi DevonMeadows,

Welcome to the community. To me half the fun of a DIY project is figuring out how exactly to get it accomplished. I think in your particular case a tie wire anchor could be the solution. The anchors are rated for use in concrete and each has a rated capacity of around 300lb.

As you can see these anchors will have the opening for the wire to pass through already on one end. Though there are also other head types available.

The alternative would be to use concrete sleeve anchors to affix a section of lumber to the ceiling. You could then drive heavy duty screw eyes into the lumber to bind the wire to. The wood could also be painted or stained as an added design element. There is a video in this link demonstrating how sleeve anchors work.

To drive the anchors into the concrete you will need a hammer drill with a masonry bit attached.

In our stores we have multiple spools of wire available that are sold by the foot. Conveniently the wire also has maximum weight capacities listed. To lock the loops in the wire in place I like to use ferrule stops.

These are the same type of stops we use in my store to create loops at the end of cables. 

If you have a building manager on site I'd recommend informing them of your intentions before starting this project. It never hurts to check and make sure there are no building rules prohibiting this type of install. Also they may have come across this before and have some suggestions to offer. If you have any questions about any of this, be sure to get back to us. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 2015-04-20T17:56:35+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL
Hi DevonMeadows,

Thanks for the photo.

A picture really is worth a thousand words!

Why waste all that space above the clothing rack?

Think about suspending four wires and adding a series of crates above the clothing rack for additional storage.

Or simply attach a series of crates to the wall to create additional storage space.

BTW:
I like Chris' recommendation of the Lok-Bolt Tie-Wire Anchor.

You'll also need a Masonry Drill Bit to create pilot holes.
Posted 2015-08-25T17:52:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+