Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

How to Make a Drip Painted Valentine's Day Wooden Heart

It seems like every year around this time I have plenty of scrap plywood from previous holiday projects. 

Rather than throwing them away, this is the 3rd time I've assembled the pieces to make artwork from them.

Below are the previous projects, from the pink heart....

....and to a more industrial and green version

For this smaller version, I decided to do a 'drip' style painting, made famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) by Jackson Pollack.

WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS JOB:

Tools

Materials

Pencil

Tape Measure

Table Saw

Mitre Saw

Cordless drill

3/16" Drill bit 

3/4" hole saw

Power Sander

Jigsaw (optional)

Paint

Paintstick

Paintbrush

Plywood 

Wood glue

STEP 1: Gather Measurements, Materials, and Tools

For this project, you may or may not have the scrap plywood/lumber pieces already. If not, having 16-18 2 " x 2" 1/2" thick plywood squares with 24 smaller triangle pieces can be used. 

Before you paint or sand, place your pieces in a heart shape first loose over a thin (1/4" or thinner) sheet of plywood. Arranging them in the right order first means less work when it comes time to later assemble them. 

No automatic alt text available.

STEP 2: Painting the Pieces

Once you get the pieces in a set pattern that you like, you can then remove every other one and paint them. 

As stated before, I chose to use a drip-painting style. This is done by simply using the paint color of your choice while dripping the paint in a chaotic motion over the pieces. 

Not drip painting every piece allows the design to not be too monotonous. Once you allow the paint on one color to dry, you can then do another color with the remaining pieces.

Drip painting can be messy, so make sure you are working in an area that can withstand a splatter or two of paint. I used another piece of plywood to take the brunt of the excessive paint.

STEP 3: Sanding 

This step is optional, but does make the pieces smoother to handle. It's optional, since this isn't a piece of furniture but wall art, leaving the edges roughened won't matter too much.

STEP 4: Gluing 

At this stage, you can set up your painted pieces on a corner of a piece of thin plywood if you haven't already done so. Next, use wood glue to bond the pieces to the plywood itself. 

You can use a weight to press the pieces together for added rigidity. Be careful in doing that at this step, as you'll need to make sure the existing paint is dry on the surface. 

Failure to do so can lead to the paint smearing or sticking to the weighted area. 

STEP 5 Cutting, Optional Re-Sanding, & Painting

Once your pieces are glued, now its time to use the jigsaw to careful cut the edges in the shape of the heart. You are placing the painted side down, as it's easier to cut only the plywood and not the pieces themselves. 

You can carefully make marks on where the cuts need by visually noting where just the blade will run through...the plywood base but not the pieces themselves.

It's up to you to sand the piece, but afterwards you will need to paint the edges. This is done to 'frame' the heart, as well to cover up any irregularities for excess glue from the previous steps.

A simple finger does the job at painting at this step...

Once you let everything dry, you can now drill a small hole in the back of the heart to allow it to be hung on whatever wall of your choice!

While this is a basic overview of making a Valentine's Day heart from scrap lumber, always be aware that your size, shape, and colors can differ to how you prefer or materials you may have readily available.

After making 3 varied versions of this heart, I can safely say that each new one I make yearly will be a unique and fun tradition!

Let us know if you have any questions about this or any other project you may have for February 14th!

Joseph 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-09T23:51:10+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+